Dyane Forde: Connecting With Readers on a Deeper Level

By | 5:48 PM
Dyane Forde, purple morrow cover
Canadian writer Dyane Forde has always had a love for writing and decided to get serious about it around three years ago. Striking out to achieve her goal of publishing a book led her down many interesting and wonderful roads, learning many valuable lessons along the way. Dyane also has a blog dedicated to writing with the goals of both creating a place for readers to discover her work and to also serve as a writing resource. Her articles are often geared to inspire and encourage others from what lessons she has learned, as well as to provide practical writing support and tips.

Dyane
's love of writing began with an early interest in reading and of words in general leading to a life-long desire to write all types of things, from short stories, novels, flash fiction, poetry, etc. 
"I enjoy delving into genres and forms of writing that are different from what I’m used to in order to stretch myself. Every story or book represents new challenges. I write to communicate, meaning that writing becomes a means through which I seek to connect with people on a level deeper than intellect."

So today, Dyane has come here to share some information and answer questions I have for her.  We are both excited that the timing of this interview is coinciding with her book The Purple Morrow just coming out, which is the first in her trilogy Rise of the Papilion.


How long have you considered yourself a writer?

I loved writing since I was a kid and dreamed of being a writer when I grew up but life took a different route. About 3-4 years ago I decided to take writing seriously and set to writing books and stories and what not, so I suppose I would consider myself a writer from that point on.



What inspires and motivates you to write?

I love words. I love seeing what they can do when mixed and matched in various ways, how they can be used to create a mood or a feeling, to stimulate the senses or to move people’s emotions. In a world dominated by visual stimulation, there’s something special about being able to stir the heart and imagination with the written word.

What inspired the name of your blog “Dropped Pebbles?”

The idea behind the name was in regards to the ripple effect that occurs after one drops a pebble in a pond. When I started the blog, I hoped that each story, article, interview etc. would reverberate like that, connecting with and affecting readers, and over time, one day make its own place within the writing community.

What’s your typical writing session and environment like?

I try to write or edit a little every day. I’m not so worried about how much I write, as any amount is better than none and I’m more interested in quality work than quantity. Writing is good for fostering creativity and inspiration and growth while editing is helpful for learning, improvement and perfecting the craft. Both are important, especially since I don’t have my own editor, so I try to make sure every piece is as good as it can be.

I usually write in bed on my laptop. I find I’m most creative in that location, probably because its where I’m most relaxed and where my family knows not to bother me.

Tell me about writing influences:

I read Lord of the Rings when I was 12 and that book blew my mind. The Silmarillion is my all time favourite book and though I don’t write that kind of fantasy, the sense of wonder, magic, and drama are elements I hope to capture in my stories, whether fantasy or some other genre. The Fountainhead was another book that influenced me in the sense that I found it deep and stunningly written. I read it when I was 15, and though I had no real idea what I was reading, I just knew it was a fabulous and I couldn't stop, even during my favourite class, biology. Hemingway was another writer I loved for his minimalistic style. I emulated it for years, and though my style has changed over time, I still work hard to keep my work uncluttered, and focused. More recently, Ray Bradbury’s The Illustrated Man was a great teacher in that I would analyse his scenes because each one was wonderfully crafted. The YA novel The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness which is told in the first person POV in the present tense had a big impact on my current writing style. The sense of immediacy and intimacy created by the combination of the POV and the tense helped me figure out how to add a layer of depth and feeling to my own writing so that my characters ‘feel’ like real people (a comment I get a lot in regards to my characters). Lastly, Margaret Atwood, a fellow Canadian, is my role model. She’s a fantastic writer and she can and does write anything. She’s gripping, funny, sarcastic and witty and she has a writing legacy that spans decades. Her book Surfacing gutted me, and The Edible Woman was a wonderful comment on society and gender roles.

What is the most unexpected response you have had to your writing?

I had an acquisitions editor from a small publishing company who had initially refused my book because it didn't follow the trends they were publishing at the time, contact me months later to see if the book was still available because she ‘couldn't get the story or the characters out of her mind.’ Then she accepted to consider another one of my books but it was refused in the end, again because the genre wasn't what they were publishing at the time. But she did refer me to an agency where she thought I might find an agent. That was extremely exciting and validating.

Do you have any regrets pertaining to your writing?

Only that nothing I write will ever be perfect and that no matter how hard I work or edit (even if someone else edits it), there can always be something to fix, tweak or rewrite.


wolf's eyes glowing red, banner to advertise coming book
All images © Dyane Forde


What plans do you have for future work?

I’m working on an adult fantasy series called Rise of the Papilion Trilogy. The Purple Morrow is the first book. Through the main character’s personal journeys, it explores themes of hope, trust, love, individual choice and redemption against the backdrop of the threat of world domination at the hands of the greedy and arrogant Northmen. The second book, Wolf’s Bane, is completed and I’m very excited about it. It follows Jeru’s journey as he continues to discover his role in the unfolding events, and as he searches for Kelen, the Northman who wreaked so much havoc in book one, and who has a special connection to his life. Book three tells of the conclusion of the clash between the Northmen and the Southernmen, and all mysteries about the Purple Morrow and the Papilion are revealed. The Purple Morrow is available as of November 2013 on paperback and eBook   The paperback is currently available through here on Amazon and the Kindle edition here.  Find more details on my blog, Facebook page and Goodreads author profile.

I also have a YA fantasy WIP called The Dragon’s Egg and a science fiction WIP called Big Boy Burgundy on the back burner at the moment.

What is the best advice you want to share with aspiring authors?

One thing I’m working on is learning to accept my work despite how it is received by others. We don’t control how well received or not a piece will be. Some will garner rave reviews, and others almost none at all. After working so hard to produce good work, such varying responses can be trying, confusing and discouraging leading to extreme highs and lows. I think it’s important for new writers to write simply because they love to, as well as to discover who they are as a writer. It’s important to discover and embrace their strengths and weaknesses in order to make each piece their own and into something meaningful to them. I think doing that can help buffer against the pressures and highs and lows that come with the art.

How do you promote your work both on and off the internet?

I have a blog where I feature my own writing as well as other writers and artists. I also maintain a FB fan page, a Twitter account, a Tumblr account and Google+ profile and finally a Goodreads account. Off the Internet, I have made contacts with local bookstores and libraries and some have been open to hosting events etc.



authors profile photoDyane's links...




Available on Amazon:



Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: